The new Manley Stingray II retains the same basic tube circuitry and marvelous output transformers as the original with some important improvements:
The high voltage tube energy storage has been increased vastly resulting in even more solid and coherent bass control and impact.
A headphone jack has been added to the right side facia. This jack re-routes the output from the speaker binding posts and mutes the Subwoofer output feed. This makes the Stingray II a fabulous headphone amplifier!
The 4th input source is an 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS mini jack for convenient hookup with DAP's and computers on the left front facia.
The Remote Control works with both Radio Frequency and InfraRed technologies. Using the remote in RF mode gives freedom from having to "point and shoot." The RF remote is omnidirectional and works through walls and cabinets. IR capability is included for those with Universal Learning Remote Controls for consolidated integration into existing systems. The volume control, balance adjust, input switching, and display options are all on the RF/IR Remote Control. Additionally user can perform the MUTE, DIM, INSERT and STANDBY commands with the Remote Control.
Each INPUT can be individually level trimmed to match and to optimize system gain staging of various input devices.
The fancy blue LED displays surrounding the INPUT and VOLUME encoder knobs can be dimmed down or turned off entirely, after a user-settable time period, or a "screen-saver" random light sequence can be selected. Speed and intensity of the "Starlight" mode can be tweaked to taste.
All custom user settings are hard written into memory when the unit is put into STANDBY mode and thus retained if power is later interrupted.
There is even a SLEEP timer which is programmable from the remote control to allow you to drift off carefree dreaming of your musical Stingray for 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes while it gracefully lowers the volume and puts itself into STANDBY mode.
Individual sealed gold contact relays deliver the selected input into the volume control system before hitting the first 12AT7 input tubes. Following the mighty 6414 driver/phase splitter, the trusty EL84 output stage can be switched between either 20 watts of TRIODE power or 40 watts of Ultra Linear mode push-pull operation. Individual bias for each tube is easily adjusted using the trimpots and test points, conveniently located on the top surface of the amplifier. The Stingray's power supply is extra-rugged and stiff, a MANLEY hallmark. It swims with the sharks: fast, agile, fluid, and with consummate authority.
Post-volume SUBWOOFER OUTPUT allows easy hookup of outboard line-level driven active powered subwoofers. This output is after the volume control so that the subwoofer will track the volume level changes of the main speakers. The SUB OUTPUT is a line level and full frequency output that is AFTER the volume control so your powered subwoofer follows the same volume as your main speakers. These are unbalanced RCA jacks, line level. They feed the line inputs of your subwoofer, NOT the speaker jacks.
A switchable TAPE LOOP is standard. The TAPE SEND is the output of the selected input before the volume control. The TAPE RETURN can also be used as a 5th line input if needed.
RECORD OUT (aka Tape OUT) is BEFORE the volume control so you can record whatever input you have selected without your listening level affecting the level going to your recorder. These are unbalanced RCA's. It is UNbalanced RCA's and UNbuffered so check out the input Z to your recorder to make sure it won't load down the Stingray main input while it is plugged in. Usually with unbuffered record outs we recommend you only plug in your recorder only when you are actually recording...
Tape LOOP: Also known as an INSERT point, the SEND or Tape Out comes off the selector switch as the Record Out option does going to your outboard EQ or Merlin BAM unit or tape recorder and then the signal returns (RETURN) to the Stingray in front of of the volume control so you can play tunes. A toggle switch selects whether the Tape LOOP (and whatever is plugged into the Tape Loop) is active or the signal goes straight through the Stingray as normal. .
OTE: The SUBWOOFER OUT, RECORD OUT, and TAPE LOOP are all passive. The RECORD OUT comes straight off the input select switch. So whatever source is selected will show up passed through at the TAPE OUT. With the Stingray, the MANLEY team has struck a remarkably harmonious balance in design which satisfies the sonic desires of the audiophile and the rocker, the artist and the musician, the student and the master, the yin and the yang. We invite you to experience the stunning sonic quality and visual beauty of the Stingray personally.
Black and Silver Are Available By Special Order. Please contact us.
- 3 x Stereo Line RCA Inputs
- 1 x Stereo Line 1/8" TRS mini-jack Input
- TRIODE - UL Output Stage Mode Switching
- RECORDING OUT
- SUBWOOFER OUT
- TAPE LOOP (Insert) with Bypass switch
- 1/4" Headphone OUTPUT (mutes speakers and subwoofer output when deployed)
- Logic controlled Volume and Balance functions
- All-Vacuum Tube Lo-feedback Stereo Integrated Design
- Output Tubes: 8 x EL84 Ships with Russian NOS EL84M (aka 6Pi14Pi-EB)
- Driver Tubes: 2 x 6414 Ships with GE or RAYTHEON JAN NOS USA or 6414W
- Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7EH Ships with: 12AT7EH large plate Electro-Harmonix Russian
- Maximum Output Power UL mode: 32 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz into 5 Ohms
- Maximum Output Power TRIODE mode: 18 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz into 5 Ohms
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz - 58 kHz, -1dB
- Gain: 35 dB at max Volume
- Input Sensitivity UL Full Power: 210 mV in = 32 watts out into 5 Ohms with volume control at maximum
- Input Sensitivity Triode: 41mV in = 1W into 5 Ohms with volume control at 20dB gain setting
- Input Sensitivity UL: 35mV in = 1W into 5 Ohms with volume control at 20dB gain setting
- Crosstalk: -72dB
- S/N Ratio: typically 72 dB A-WGT, 1W output, 20dB gain, Source Z = shorted input
- THD+N Ratio: typically 64 db at 1W output, Bandwidth 22Hz-22Khz, Source = 1Khz Sine wave
- Input Impedance: 12 kOhm nominal
- Optimum Speaker Load: 5 Ohms
- Speaker Terminal Output Impedance at 20Hz: 2.36 Ohms
at 1KHz: 2 Ohms
at 20KHz: 1.83 Ohms
- Damping Factor: 2.4
- Headphone Jack Output Impedance: 53 Ohms
- Scratch Factor: Use pennies under pointed feet to avoid marring cabinetry. Try quarters if you are in upper tax brackets. The bargain performer would be nickels. Paper currency does not function as well. Euro coins work 1.54 times better.
- Remote Control Type: RF (radio frequency) and IR (infrared), user selectable
- Volume Control: Cirrus Digital Level Control System, controlled by Grayhill Rotary Encoders
- Volume Control Range: 102dB in 1dB steps turning slowly, with larger steps as rate of turn increases
- SLEEP timer: 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes
- Power Consumption (Standby): 6W
- Power Consumption Idle: 198W
- Maximum Power Consumption at Full Power: 300W
- MAINS Fuses:
100 ~ 120VAC operation: MDL 3 AMP / 250 Volt SLO-BLO
220 ~ 240VAC operation: MDL 1.5 AMP / 250 Volt SLO-BLO
- B+ FUSES (2): MDA 1/4 AMP, 250 Volt SLO-BLO, Ceramic.
- Power Supply: is factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage: changeable with power transformer re-wiring on PCB and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency:
- Power Cord: Detachable IEC standard.
Appropriate power cord supplied for original destination country
- Dimensions: W= 19", D=14", H= 7 1/2"
- Shipping Weight: 35 lbs.
What are the differences between the Stingray iTube and the Stingray II?
Mainly: the Stingray II has 1/8" line input instead of iPod dock. The Stingray II has four sets of stereo analog inputs. The 4th input is on a stereo 1/8" jack for easy interface with DAP's and computers. The Stingray iTube® has an iPod dock as the 4th audio input which will charge and play your iPod, iPhone, or iTouch device. Track advance, back and volume control can be commanded from the Stingray iTube's remote control. The iPod's video output can be ported to a monitor via the S-Video output. The Stingray iTube® has been licensed from Apple as a Made for iPod approved device. Note: the original Stingray has been discontinued.
NOT AVAILABLE OPTIONS:
Balanced inputs are not available. It's a single-ended input topology and so to balance it we would have to add chips or transformers. There is no power supply for IC's available inside and no room to fit more transformers or XLR's so please take the RCA's with a kind heart!
And no we cannot cram a phono stage in there...
Specifications subject to change because they just might.