Introducing the new EX software upgrade with all Melco units. This new software increases the ease of use of the Melco system by adding much greater flexibility to your music library. Browsing and searching your library has never been easier. Both SongKong and Minimserver have been fully integrated to the Melco software, offering an incredibly powerful music library management solution for correct and consistent data.
If internet radio is of more interest to you, then you'll be glad to hear that vTuner Internet Radio has been added to the Melco software and can be utilised by connecting your Melco device to a USB DAC and using the Malco iPad app to control the input. In due course, there will be another update offering the option for the Melco to be viewed as a Roon Endpoint.
The Melco N1 series has transformed Hi-Res digital music in the home. And now, thanks to the unceasing efforts of the Melco R&D engineers, the revised Mark2 hardware further advances Hi-Res Digital Music Playback. Extreme attention to detail ensures that the quietest electrical environment, which is essential for digitally-stored content, contributes to the superb audio performance.
Melco N1 is a truly universal music source. Initially conceived as the only audiophile alternative to an IT NAS for streaming systems, the N1 will also deliver digital music to a USB DAC without any of the inherent problems of a laptop, whilst also acting as both a streamer and a USB DAC player. Recent additions to the feature set now include CD playback into a USB DAC, using the same technology as Hi-Res music playback. Creating a new era in CD sound quality using the latest DAC technology, Melco N1 can breathe new life into a CD collection without the need to import into the on-board storage.
Not only is the N1 the perfect store for Hi-Res music, with easy importing and easy backup. It will also play music into a USB DAC or connect to a network streamer, from a local library, other networked libraries, streaming music sources (Android control), from CD and even from temporary USB connected sources. With the added option to import a CD or the content from a connected USB flash drive into the local library, Melco N1 music libraries offer the most convenient solution for digital music storage and playback, require no PC skills for set up or management, yet deliver outstanding audio quality which cannot be achieved with IT or computer devices.
Melco N1Z/2 is the flagship of the new Mk2 series. True audiophile source components designed for both Ethernet connected Players (Streamers) and for connection to a USB connected DAC. The N1Z/2 is constructed as a true Hi-Fi source component with heavy anodised aluminium chassis sections bead blasted to a delightful finish, and with an internal rigid H frame to isolate vibration and isolate the various sections of the hardware. Twin power supplies with additional capacitor banks with audio grade film capacitors isolate the HDD from the data processing, and multiple stages of noise reduction and isolation ensure the quietest possible environment for the sensitive electronics. A precision low jitter clock handles the data flow whether to the USB-DAC or the Ethernet player. The drives are mounted on massive non-magnetic foundation plate, and the N1ZS20 uses 2nd generation SSD which is quite unlike IT SSD which seriously compromise sound quality. The SSDS are format as RAID 0 for optimum sound quality. The N1ZH has SFF drives – which are much less electrical noise than conventional 3.5 inch HDD. Operation of the N1Z is very convenient, with a dedicated Neutrik USB 2.0 port for a DAC, and then 3 USB 3.0 ports for Easy backup, Easy Expansion, Easy Import of CD or from USB drives, Easy Play without import from USB drives or CD loader so that a legacy CD collection can benefit from the latest DAC technology. All without ant require men for a PC or any IT type devices.
IT NAS is designed to be very fast and flexible, host various plugins, communicate to many devices on the network, and be a jack of all trades. By designing only for audio, we avoid all the compromises of a multipurpose IT device, and this is immediately obvious when considering the network connectivity.
IT NAS will connect to the network switch or router with a single LAN port, and the network player or streamer will also connect to the network switch with a single LAN port. Crucially, this is the same as all the other devices in the home - most of which are not audio devices and are very busy creating network traffic that compromises the performance of the player.
But uniquely, Melco has two Ethernet ports and sophisticated internal network data processing. One port is connected to the network and receives all network traffic – the majority of which is intrusive and damaging to sound quality. Melco N1 features a separate PLAYER Ethernet port that simply connects to the player, filtering all unnecessary network traffic. The connection to the Player is direct without the damaging effects of an IT dataswitch (router), allowing the data packets from the N1 to be correctly timed with low jitter. Music data is supported in all formats up to DSD 256 and PCM 32bit/384kHz.
The Ethernet streamer or Player connected to the PLAYER port continues to have Internet access for streaming services as well as firmware updates, whilst any tablet or app control will be undisturbed over the network. Melco can access all open music shares on the network as well as internet streaming music services on the LAN port. This data is all processed within the N1 before being presented to the PLAYER port, thereby improving playback of streaming sources as well as music collections on IT NAS or visiting laptops, for example. Multiroom systems can also access the N1 and the music stored locally from the LAN port, and the powerful UPnP server will then give a whole house experience in the same way as any IT NAS. There is, however, an additional benefit with Melco – the N1 is proof against power drop outs, simply restarting automatically after a power cut. All this simultaneous with playing on the PLAYER port.
Melco N1 is the perfect high resolution music source for a high quality external USB connected DAC. Compared to driving a DAC from a laptop, there are many advantages resulting in greatly improved performance of the Hi-Fi Music Player on the same noisy network.
Melco is connected to the power using a 3 wire high current IEC connector and has a true electrical ground. By comparison, laptops use 2 wire mains with no ground reference and the circulating ground currents flow via the USB cable to the DAC – seriously compromising the sound quality.
The data management within N1 is more like a high-end CD player than any computer or laptop, with a low jitter precisely clocked data path. The dedicated USB connection to the DAC is a Neutrik panel connector, with precise USB 2.0 data configuration for optimum compatibility with DACs and no complicated drivers or setup. In most cases, simply plug in the DAC and play music. The N1 will even auto transcode music if required. Additional fine tuning allows for DACs that have a small latency in delivering music – the N1 has a precision start feature to ensure no notes are missing at the beginning of a track.
Browsing and selection of the music will normally be accessed using any UPnP control point app on a tablet. But it is now possible to browse and play music directly from the Melco Front panel, so there is no need for any network connection. Just navigate to the required music from the front panel OLED display and press PLAY. Similarly, a CD is simple to play - load the CD into a USB connected CD drive and select PLAY. The full performance of the USB connected DAC now benefits CD replay without the need to first import the CD.
Similarly, music on USB Dongle or USB drive can be played directly from the front panel port of an N1A or the EXPANSION port on an N1Z, again without the need to import.
High performance single 60w power supply with noise reduction technologies, Multiple low mass regulators for long term stability. Specialised pulse isolating transformers for both Ethernet ports ensuring accurate impedance match and isolation from networks noise. LED port indicators can be switched off. Active Ethernet Purifier isolates data on the LAN port from the Player DSM port.
No PC required for setup and installation - no specialist knowledge needed. Simple setup from front panel OLED display. Specific DSM IP port for Ethernet Streamer / Player with separate LAN port Control and network. Automatically creates very simple robust network for streaming high resolution music and control. Simple power operation, normal ON/OFF switch. Just 5 seconds to power down and 15 seconds to be ready. Informative OLED display with just 4 navigation buttons, display all relevant settings, connected devices, capacity, setup and also displays current song playing. Simple Backup - music is secure with USB connected Backup drive which will backup in a single button press. Simple Expansion - when the music collection outgrows the internal storage a USB drive connected to the Melco will extend capacity without any setup being added. Simple music imports from USB drive in just one button press. Simple music downloads from High resolution vendors direct to Meloc without a PC and safe against unintended power down.
S40 Includes 2 x 2TB SSD Hard Drives.
- Dedicated LAN port for Player (Streamer) connectivity - optimum data integrity and simple setup
- Light-piped Ethernet ports - complete electrical isolation totally removing possibility of interference and noise
- LAN LED off function - ensures the highest possible data integrity
- Separated power supply circuitry for LAN ports - isolates the LAN function from all electrical disturbances
- Double power supplies - separate power functions for LAN and USB / HDD / System management (*N1Z only)
- Audio-grade ultra-low jitter data clock - eliminates any possibility of data jitter at source
- High grade power supplies with audiophile grade components. N1A - 60W x 1
- Dual high grade power supplies. N1Z – 30W x2, separate supplies for external data interfaces means no pollution of sensitive internal data and clock supplies
- Audiophile grade capacitor bank for absolute stable supplies (*N1Z only)
- Solid Aluminium front fascia (N1Z) rigid metal chassis
- High stability noise eliminating H cross-frame construction for mechanical integrity (N1Z)
- Specialist audio isolators (Japanese TAOC brand)
- No PC required for setup and installation - no specialist knowledge needed
- Specific IP port for Streamer / Player with additional Network port for Control and Ethernet. Simply creates robust network for streaming high resolution music and control even on complex networks
- Pre-installed media server - no configuration required
- Supports multiple specialised media servers - currently shipping with Twonky 7 with DSD support
- Informative OLED front panel display - displays current streaming track data, system status, and setup
- Simple menu navigation structure and track selection
- Simple front panel on-off switch - just like Hi-Fi
- 15 seconds only to full power-on
- 5 seconds to full shut-down
- Safe against unintended power down - no requirement for UPS
- The Local USB-DAC player can be used in the same manner as the Network Player. The Local USB-DAC player is simply controlled from a UPnP Control App on a Smartphone or Tablet on the network. The App discovers the N1 - DAC as a Digital Media Renderer or Player on the Network as soon as a DAC is connected to the N1
- The N1 is connected to various Hi-Fi USB-DAC using a standard USB lead
- The N1 Local USB-DAC Player supports PCM up to 384 kHz / 32 bit, and DSD up to 5.6 MHz double DSD
- Automatic sample rate adjustment to match the capabilities of the connected DAC - e.g. 192 kHz is automatically downsampled to play on a 96 kHz capable DAC
- Automatic conversion of DSD to 24 bit PCM for USB DAC that does not support DSD. (Manual setting in the Menu)
- The Playlist can be stored either on N1 (Mode 1) to allow the playlist to be maintained even if the App is out of contact,or the Playlist is stored on the App (Mode 2) when the App requires it. Please see compatibility chart
- The Melco Local USB-DAC player can be easily controlled by your favorite UPnP control Point (App)
- The Melco Local USB-DAC player will play Music stored on open shares on the Network in addition to music stored on the Melco
Technical Specification :
- Model: HA-N1ZH60/2 & HA-N1ZH60/2BK
- Support file (Server): DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, MP3, WMA, OGG, LPCM
- Support file (Player): DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC
- Sampling Rate (Server): 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
- Sampling Rate (Player): 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
- Bit Rate: 16-32bit (PCM), 1bit (DSD)
- Media Server: Twonky Media Server
- Terminals: LAN (1000BASE-T), Player (1000BASE-T), Backup (USB 3.0, Rear Panel), Expansion (USB 3.0, Rear Panel), USB 3.0 (Rear Panel), USB 3.0 (Front Panel), USB-DAC (USB 2.0, Rear Panel), Ground Connectable Bolt
- Power supply unit: 30 W x 2 with capacitor bank separated for Main Board Devices and SATA Disk devices
- Music Storage/Drives: 2 x 3TB Hard-drives with floating mechanism
- Local USB DAC Player Control: UPnP Control Point Type 0 or Type 1 supported
- Case: Thick aluminium case
- Size (WxHxD): 350mm x 65mm x 370mm
- Weight: 8.1kg
- 2 Years Warranty