Sennheiser began as Laboratorium Wennebostel (Labor W, which translates as Lab W) in June 1945 by Prof. Dr. Fritz Sennheiser. At the time of its foundation, the young company produced measuring instruments and sold them to Siemens. The farmhouse where the company was founded is still part of our business premises. The company was renamed in 1958 to Sennheiser electronic and changed its legal form to Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG in 1996.
In 1945, Siemens commissioned the laboratory to rebuild a microphone from an Austrian supplier, which was launched in 1946 as the MD 1. In the same year, Sennheiser began developing its own microphone: The MD 2 expanded the company's portfolio from 1947.